Job alert: postdoctoral-level scientific collaborator (m/f/x) at the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences
The Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences (KBIN: https://www.naturalsciences.be/) is offering a position for a postdoctoral-level scientific collaborator in the framework of the project "INTERCEPT: Monitoring the trade of exotic animals, wild meat and the pathogens they carry".
The hired staff will to carry out the scientific tasks and general management of the INTERCEPT project.
This includes the following tasks:
- Project management.
- Conducting literature reviews on the import and export of exotic animals and wild meat (scientific and grey literature).
- Organisation of stakeholder workshops and bilateral discussions, including with relevant federal government departments and agencies and external experts on monitoring the import and export of exotic animals and wild meat and how to optimise it.
- Drafting and evaluating protocols for sample collection, molecular identification of imported animals, molecular detection of pathogens (in collaboration with Royal Museum for Central Africa and Sciensano).
- Writing intermediate and final reports of the INTERCEPT project.
- Writing scientific publication on the import and export of exotic animals and wild meat.
PhD or equivalent degree, preferably in biology, veterinary medicine, bioengineering or biomedical sciences.
- Good knowledge of sampling (vertebrate) animals, molecular laboratory techniques for species identification (DNA/RNA extractions, PCR, sequencing).
- Knowledge of DNA sequence interpretation.
- Knowledge of infectious diseases of wildlife and pets.
- Practical knowledge and experience in managing databases.
- Active knowledge of English and Dutch and/or French.
Possess excellent organisational skills.
Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of both French and Dutch
- Knowledge of taxonomy and zoological nomenclature
- Knowledge of problems caused by trade in exotic wild animals and wild meat (species and population conservation, spread of infectious diseases)
- Knowledge of programming, bioinformatics
- Experience with project management
- Experience in federal government departments and agencies
A full-time contract (SW1) for two years
Remuneration according to the legal salary scale of attaché (level SW1) with the corresponding salary scale SW11
A dynamic, challenging, varied and stimulating research environment
Free commuting by public transport or bicycle allowance
How to apply
Please send your motivation and CV exclusively by e-mail before 4 November 2022 (23:45) to Sophie Gryseels, email@example.com with heading "INTERCEPT vacancy".
Candidatures matching the profile and arriving within the foreseen deadline will be answered by e-mail. The selected candidates will be invited for an interview that will take place on 8 November 2022.